Twenty Years with a Living Legacy: My Journey with Shaykh Qamaruddeen Adeniyi Ballo By Mutohhir Olanrewaju Abdulhamid
For twenty years, Allah has blessed me with the opportunity to know, learn from, and walk alongside one of the most remarkable scholars of our time, Shaykh Qamaruddeen Adeniyi Ballo.
Many people call him "Ustādh," while others address him as "Shaykh." However, anyone who has had close contact with him will understand that titles alone cannot fully describe the man. In fact, I often struggle to find the right words whenever I attempt to write about him.
If all of Nigeria were a single house filled with books from floor to ceiling, and I were given the task of writing about Shaykh Qamaruddeen Adeniyi Ballo, I would fill every page, every chapter, and every volume. Even then, I would still feel that I had not done justice to his personality, his character, and his immense contribution to Islam and humanity. My ink would dry, and continue drying, long before I could finish telling his story.
Shaykh Qamaruddeen Adeniyi Ballo is not merely a scholar; he is a caller to Allah whose entire life revolves around reminding people of their Creator. Every moment spent in his company becomes a lesson. Every conversation becomes a reminder. Every encounter becomes an opportunity to strengthen one's relationship with Allah.
Throughout my life, I have met many scholars, but I have rarely encountered anyone who lives so consistently according to what he teaches. His worship is not for public display. His sincerity is not a performance. His devotion to Allah is woven into every aspect of his daily life.
He is a scholar blessed with extraordinary eloquence. His speeches do not merely entertain; they transform hearts. His words inspire reflection, encourage repentance, and motivate people to become better servants of Allah. When he speaks, people listen. More importantly, when he speaks, people change.
One of the greatest blessings Allah has granted me in this century is the opportunity to know a man like Shaykh Qamaruddeen Adeniyi Ballo. Meeting him was not an accident. It was a decree written by Allah long before either of us was born.
His kindness toward people is truly remarkable. Young and old, rich and poor, students and visitors—all receive the same warmth, respect, and attention from him. He treats people with dignity and compassion, regardless of their status. In a time when many seek influence and recognition, he continues to embody humility and service.
Whenever I observe his dealings with people, I am reminded of the noble character that Islam encourages us to cultivate. While no one can ever attain the status of the beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), we are commanded to follow his example and strive to emulate his character. Shaykh Qamaruddeen Ballo's life reflects this aspiration in a beautiful and inspiring way.
This is not an exaggeration. Anyone who reflects deeply upon the Qur'an and studies the lives of righteous people will recognize the qualities that make individuals beloved to Allah. Shaykh Ballo is thoughtful in his words, deliberate in his actions, diligent in his responsibilities, and sincere in his relationships with those around him.
What distinguishes him most is his ability to win hearts without seeking control over people. He influences through wisdom, not force; through kindness, not intimidation; through example, not mere instruction.
Even a brief moment in his company leaves a lasting impact. Spend a few seconds with him, and you are likely to learn something beneficial about Islam, life, character, or your relationship with Allah. Such people are rare in every generation.
In an age where many complain that some preachers do not practice what they preach, Shaykh Qamaruddeen Adeniyi Ballo stands as a shining example of consistency between words and actions. His life serves as a reminder that true scholarship is not measured only by knowledge, but also by character.
Sometimes, when I reflect on his life, I am reminded of the noble Companions of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). While no one can equal their rank or virtue, people who sincerely strive to follow their path still exist among us today. Shaykh Ballo is among those individuals whose lives inspire others to pursue righteousness and excellence.
There is still much more to say. In truth, I have only scratched the surface. The stories, lessons, sacrifices, wisdom, and examples I have witnessed over the past twenty years could fill many volumes.
For now, I will stop here and continue another day. I pray that my ink never runs dry, so that I may continue sharing with the world the beauty, humility, wisdom, and sincerity of this easy-going scholar.
As Allah says in the Qur'an:
"And the servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk upon the earth humbly, and when the ignorant address them harshly, they say words of peace."
I ask Allah to preserve Shaykh Qamaruddeen Adeniyi Ballo, increase him in goodness, bless his efforts, and make his legacy a source of guidance for generations to come.
And I pray that Allah includes us among His righteous servants—those who walk in humility, speak with wisdom, and live their lives solely for His pleasure.
Āmīn.
Comments
Post a Comment